YUMA, Ariz. – A Yuma family’s home is damaged after a fire broke out Tuesday evening. Rural/Metro firefighters responded to the scene. One resident was home at the time of the fire along with his two dogs. The resident was able to exit the fire safely with one of his dogs and the second dog was later rescued from the fire. All three of them were fine, but the home is not in good condition.
“So standing in front of the house you actually don’t see a lot of damage. So it makes you wonder if there was even a fire there at all. However, since the fire started in the back of the house, the damage is quite extensive,” said Charly McMurdie with Rural/Metro Fire Dept.
McMurdie also stressed the importance of fire safety, especially this coming Labor Day weekend. McMurdie said to maintain your landscaping, make sure your grass is cut if you have grass, make sure your shrubs are trimmed back – if it’s dead pull it up. If you have trash in the backyard pick it up and throw it away.
If you decide to set up your fire pit or grill make sure your grill or fire pit is completely cooled off before you leave it unattended.